Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rock and Dissolve - Science

ROCK AND DISSOLVE:
Question: Can something as soft as rain dissolve something as hard as rock?
Experiment: We put pieces of white chalk into separate capsules filled with vinegar, lemon juice and water.
Predictions:
I predicted that the chalk would dissolve fastest in the vinegar because it is really strong - Britney
I thought that the chalk would dissolve fastest in the lemon juice because it is 'citrussy' - Abby
I predicted that the vinegar and the chalk was going to fizz up and perhaps explode - Kayla
I predicted that the vinegar and lemon juice would both dissolve the chalk because they have chemicals in them compared to the water.  I don't think the water will do much - Amelia
I thought the vinegar would dissolve first because I think it is likely to fizz - Sharne
I thought the vinegar and the lemon would really fizz up around the chalk but not really the water - Leah

We think we will observe:
- the chalk changing colour
- chalk dissolved in lemon juice
- some capsules holding the liquid will bubble more than others
- some of the liquids will dissolve the chalk and we will just see the residue
- the water and the chalk may go softer

1 comment:

  1. wow that looks like an awesome expirament to do.

    Ben from youre class

    ReplyDelete